Hidalgo County Bus Accident Lawyer
Protecting the Rights of Texans in Bus Accident Injuries & Fatalities
Buses of all kinds, including school buses, public transport buses, charter, and tour buses, share Texas roads and highways with other vehicles such as cars, SUVs, and trucks daily. Unfortunately, many traffic accidents across the state involve buses. These accidents frequently harm both bus passengers and individuals struck by these large vehicles, causing severe and even catastrophic injuries.
If you've been involved in a bus-related accident, our law firm is here to help manage your injuries and losses. At Anthony M. Ortega, PLLC, we deliver dedicated and skilled legal counsel for those who have suffered significant injuries or experienced the loss of loved ones due to bus accidents in and around Hidalgo County. We understand the devastating consequences that can occur to bus passengers and other vehicle occupants in which your life can be thrown into chaos in the wake of such incidents.
Overview of Texas Bus Accidents
Bus passengers and the occupants of other vehicles on the road have a greater risk of injury in bus accidents than other traffic accident victims for many reasons. Buses are much larger vehicles than the average passenger car. Thus, a collision with a bus can result in more significant damage to the smaller vehicle and its occupants. Because of their size and weight, buses are harder to maneuver and take longer to stop in an emergency.
Most buses do not provide passengers with seat belts, which means you can be thrown about in a collision. Furthermore, these large vehicles can more easily roll over, causing roof crushes which is a further risk for injury and even death for those inside a bus. Lastly, passengers boarding and exiting buses are also highly vulnerable to damage should the bus be struck while this occurs.
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), 108,000 large truck and bus injury crashes occurred in 2020. Nearly 5,000 large trucks and buses were involved in fatal accidents that year. Of these, 11 percent involved intercity buses, 38 percent involved school buses, and 35 percent involved transit buses.
Causes of such accidents can range from distracted or fatigued drivers to inadequate driver training, mechanical failures, violations of traffic laws, and inattention. Driver error is cited as the most common cause of bus accidents.
Injured? Get a free case review with our Hidalgo County bus accident attorney. Call us at (956) 300-1402 or email a team member using our contact form today.
Why Bus Accidents Are Complex Legal Matters
Bus accidents are more complex than standard car accidents among private citizens due to the number of passengers involved, the fact that certain buses may be under federal government regulations, and the possible involvement of government entities.
In the unfortunate event of a bus accident, determining liability can be complex due to the potential involvement of multiple parties.
The liable party or parties in a bus accident may include, but are not limited to:
- Bus Driver: When drivers act irresponsibly or recklessly, they could be held responsible for the accident. Their actions during the accident are crucial in determining their liability.
- Bus Company: The company owning the bus might be held accountable if it is found that they failed to maintain the vehicle properly, leading to the accident. They could also be liable if the accident resulted from their negligent hiring practices.
- Third Parties: In some cases, third parties, such as other drivers, pedestrians, or even manufacturers of faulty bus parts, may be held liable.
- School System or Bus Depot: In cases of school bus accidents, the school system or bus depot could be responsible, depending on various factors.
- Government Entities: In certain circumstances, government entities may be held accountable, especially in cases involving public buses.
Thousands of Clients Served
We Handle All Your Legal Needs
Direct Access to Attorney
What Damages Can Be Recovered in a Bus Accident Claim?
Accidents involving buses frequently result in significant physical, emotional, and financial challenges for both victims and their families. It is essential to have a clear understanding of the various damages that can be pursued to secure fair compensation. Our adept legal team is dedicated to pursuing a broad spectrum of damages, which includes:
- Medical Expenses: Victims of bus accidents often face extensive medical bills for emergency care, surgeries, rehabilitation, and ongoing treatment. We work tirelessly to ensure all medical expenses are accounted for in your claim.
- Lost Wages and Future Earnings: Bus accidents can result in long-term injuries that impede a victim's ability to work. Our legal team meticulously calculates lost wages and considers future earning potential to secure fair compensation.
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation for pain and suffering takes into account the emotional distress, trauma, and diminished quality of life experienced by victims.
- Property Damage: When personal belongings or vehicles are damaged in a bus accident, we pursue compensation to cover repair or replacement costs.
- Wrongful Death: Tragically, some bus accidents result in fatalities. In such cases, we advocate for the rights of surviving family members, pursuing wrongful death claims to provide financial support and justice.
Our commitment is to secure compensation for past and present losses and anticipate and address future needs arising from the aftermath of a bus accident.
What is the Statute of Limitations for Bus Accidents in Texas?
In Texas, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims arising from bus accidents, is typically two years from the incident date. However, variations in specific circumstances can impact this timeframe. For instance, if the bus accident involves a government entity, there may be a requirement to file a notice of claim within a more restricted timeframe.
Timely consultation with our experienced legal team is crucial to ensure strict compliance with the statute of limitations and efficiently gather the necessary evidence to construct a compelling case. Postponing the initiation of legal proceedings could jeopardize your ability to pursue rightful compensation, emphasizing the urgency of seeking timely legal advice and taking decisive action.
How Anthony M. Ortega, PLLC, Can Help
When injured in a bus accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, loss of earnings, pain and suffering, and other damages. However, navigating the claims process can be challenging, particularly given the likely involvement of large insurance companies or government entities.
This is where we come in. At Anthony M. Ortega, PLLC, we provide knowledgeable legal counsel to help you navigate this complex process. Our team works to back up your claim with thoroughly-prepared evidence to help you receive the compensation you deserve. We handle everything from filing your claim to aggressively negotiating with insurance companies, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
Don’t face the aftermath of a bus accident alone. Contact us today for a free consultation. Call us at (956) 300-1402 to get started.